How to create a Windows 10 installer USB drive from a Mac 2022
Create Windows 10 Bootable USB on Mac for PC; We previously showed you how to create a Windows 10 USB installation media when performing a clean install of Windows 10, but there might be an instance where the only machine you have available is a Mac. We’ll show you to create a bootable USB flash drive with the Windows 10 installer from a Mac. It’s easier than you think, thanks to the built-in Boot Camp Assistant from Apple.
Download Windows 10 Disc Image
First, you need to download the Windows 10 ISO file. Go to the download page and select the proper edition of Windows 10 in the dropdown menu. If you don’t know what K, KN, or Single Language edition stands for, just select Windows 10 in the list.
Create USB installer with Boot Camp Assistant
After downloading the ISO file, you’ll need to use Boot Camp Assistant to move it to a bootable USB drive.
- Insert a USB flash drive to your Mac. Make sure it’s at least 8GB, which is usually marked on the USB stick. You can also check by right-clicking the USB drive on your desktop and clicking Get Info. Check if the number next to Capacity is at least 8GB. All the files in the drive will be deleted, so make sure there are no important documents inside.
- Open Boot Camp Assistant. The easiest way to launch it is through Spotlight Search, which you can bring up by pressing Command and Spacebar. Press Enter to launch the app.
- Check the box for “Create a Windows 7 or later version install disk” and deselect “Install Windows 7 or later version.”
- Click Continue to proceed.
- Boot Camp Assistant will automatically locate the ISO file from your downloads folder, but make sure it is the right file. Click the “Choose…” button and locate the ISO file. Make sure the destination disk is the USB thumb drive you’ve inserted.
- Click Continue. It can take about 20 minutes to format and set up the USB installer on the Mac.
- When Boot Camp Assistant is done, the USB drive will be renamed to WININSTALL. Click Quit to close the app and then Eject the USB drive.
That’s it! You now have a bootable USB drive with the Windows 10 installer. You can use it to configure new Windows 10 PCs from scratch. We told you it was easy!
Have you tried creating a Windows 10 installer USB drive from a Mac before? Did you encounter any issues? Let us know your experience in the comments!
Mac Tip: How to Create Windows 10 Bootable USB on Mac
If you have a Mac system but want to run Windows on that system, you will need to create Windows 10 bootable USB on Mac for PC. Even if the Mac system uses Mac OS, you can still run Windows on it this way. Also, if you have got a new PC this way, you can install Windows on it.
In a case wherein the hard drive on the PC has been replaced, you will have to reinstall Windows on it. These are just some reasons as to why you may have to create bootable Windows 10 USB on Mac. This article will detail five different methods to create bootable USB Windows 10 on Mac.
Part 1: Can You Create a Windows Bootable USB on Mac
Wondering about, can you create a Windows bootable USB on Mac? You can easily do this with the help of the methods listed out in this article. Follow these methods to easily make bootable USB Mac Windows 10. These methods will answer all your questions about how to make a Windows 10 bootable USB on Mac.
[5 Methods] How to Create Windows 10 Bootable USB on Mac Mojave
Method 1: Make Windows Bootable USB Mac with PassFab 4WinKey
Thinking about how do I create a bootable USB drive for Mac easily? PassFab 4WinKey is an incredible tool that can be used to make Windows bootable USB on Mac. It can be used for several other purposes as well, like for removing or resetting the Windows Admin password. You can know how to create Windows 10 bootable USB on Mac using this tool by following the steps given below.
- After installing the program on your system, launch it, and insert a USB to it.
- Click on “USB Flash Drive” from the main interface and then on “Burn”.
- Once done, click on “OK” on the pop-up window.
This is how simple it is to make bootable Windows 10 USB Mac with the help of this tool.
Method 2: Use UNetbootin to Install USB Driver on Mac
UNetbootin is a Windows 10 USB tool Mac that is completely free to use and can be used in a scenario wherein you have to make bootable USB Windows 10 on Mac system. For this, you need to keep a USB with the .iso file downloaded in it. Follow the steps below to know how you can use this program to know how to make a bootable USB Windows 10 on Mac.
- Connect the USB drive with the .iso file to your Mac system.
- From “Disk Utility,” click on your USB drive.
- Click on “Disk Image” and then on the “…” icon and select the .iso file that you have downloaded.
- Select “USB Drive” from the drop-down menu in front of “Type” and also select the name of your USB drive.
- Once done, click on “OK”.
Wait for a few minutes, and the USB would be formatted to a bootable drive.
Method 3: Use Boot Camp Assistant on Mac
If you wish to know how to make a bootable USB Windows 10 on Mac using Boot Camp Assistant, read on. You will need to have a USB drive with a storage capacity of 16 GB or more for this method to work. You can use the following steps to know how to make a Windows 10 bootable USB on Mac using Bootcamp Assistant.
- After inserting the USB drive into your Mac system, launch “Boot Camp Assistant”.
- Only check “create a Windows 7 or later version install disk” and ignore all other options and then click on “Continue”.
- Download the .iso file from a trusted source, which will be detected automatically by Boot Camp Assistant and then click on “Continue”.
- After Boot Camp Assistant is done, check if USB deive has been renamed WININSTALL. Tap “Quit” to close app and then eject the USB drive.
After a few minutes, the process would have been completed. However, you cannot use this method if you have macOS Mojave or other later versions of macOS.
Method 4: Use Terminal to Make Bootable USB on Mac
This is the most complicated method out of all the methods described above and, therefore, must only be used as a last resort. You will need a USB drive for this method to work. Use the steps given below to create a Windows 10 bootable USB on Mac using Terminal.
- After connecting the USB drive to your Mac system, open Terminal.
- Key in “diskutil list” and press “Enter” key to see the list of connected drives and findyour USB drive’s name.
- Run the command “diskutil eraseDisk MS-DOS “WINDOWS10” GPT<drive name>@”.
- Download the .iso file on your Mac system.
- Key in the command “hdiutil mount ~/Downloads/WINDOWS10IMAGE.iso” to mount .iso image.
- Key in the command “cp -rp/Volumes/MOUNTED-ISO/* /Volumes/WINDOWS10/”.
- Run the command “hdiutil unmount/Volumes/MOUNTED-ISO” and then close Terminal.
Eject your USB drive, and the process would be complete.
Method 5: Use Disk Utility to Create USB on Mac
- Put USB drive into your Mac system and launch Disk Utility.
- On the left, right-click on the chosen USB drive and format it with MS-DOS (FAT).
- Drag the .iso file to the USB drive. This step will start the writing process of the .iso file on USB.
A Bonus Tip: The Professional Way to Recover Data from Windows 10 Bootable USB
Although most of the above methods to create Windows 10 bootable USB Mac are pretty straight forward, while executing these steps, you may end up losing some important data from the Windows bootable USB. If this happens, don’t be tensed. With the help of Tenorshare Windows Boot Genius, you can recover the lost data easily. Here’s how you can do this.
- Install and run this program on your system, click on “USB Flash Drive” and then on “Burn”.
- This burned drive needs to be inserted in the system that won’t boot. Keep pressing the F12 key while doing so.
- Run the program and from the main interface, click on “Data Recovery”.
- Select the disk from which you wish to recover the data and then click on “Scan”.
- Once you get the files, select them and click on “Recover”.
After this, the accidentally deleted or lost data and files will be recovered.
With the help of the above methods, you can easily create Windows 10 bootable USB on Mac High Sierra. The methods involving Terminal and Disk Utility are pretty complicated, while the other methods are fairly easy and effective. If, during the process, you accidentally lose out on some files and data, you can make use of Tenorshare 4DDiG for Mac Data Recovery to recover these files easily. It is recommended that to use Tenorshare Windows Boot Genius to recover lost data on windows 10, if you need.