To use Malwarebytes for Mac on your Mac running macOS or OS X, download and install Malwarebytes for Mac using these instructions. You can use this article to guide you through the Malwarebytes for Mac installation process. These steps also apply to re-installation, or how to reclaim the application in case of an accidental uninstall.
Compact and efficient: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac takes up little space on your computer. In fact, all it downloads is a text document with updated malware and adware definitions, so it can identify all unwanted items on your computer. Scans are completed quickly, and you can delete items right from the list of results, making the process of removing malware and adware from your Mac quick and easy.
Good resources: In addition to removing malware and adware, the app includes a handy set of resources for helping you deal with related issues you may encounter. These resources include helpful tips and links to more in-depth information in case you continue to have issues. Through the software, you can contact the company’s support team and send a system snapshot if you are experiencing malware or adware issues not found by the software.
Basic functionality: This app removes only independent software specifically identified as malware or adware. It can’t help you reset your browser settings if adware has changed them, and it can’t remove other unwanted programs that may have been installed without your knowledge along with the adware. While the accompanying resources do include information about this, it would be nice if a bit more functionality was included. The scanning process is manual, with no way to schedule scans.
- If you are on macOS 10.10 Yosemite, download version 3 of Malwarebytes for Mac. If you have a newer version of macOS, instead see Download and install Malwarebytes for Mac v4.
- Locate the downloaded file Malwarebytes-Mac-3.x.y.zzz.pkg.
3.x.y.zzz represents the version number.
In most cases, downloaded files are saved in the Downloads folder.
- Double-click the file Malwarebytes-Mac-3.x.y.zzz.pkg to start the setup wizard.Malwarebytes is an identified Apple developer. However, if your macOS settings only allow apps from the App Store to be opened, you may receive a security warning dialog. Refer to Apple’s article MacOS Sierra: Open an app from an unidentified developer for more information.
- The next screen shows the improvements and features available in this version of Malwarebytes for Mac. Click Continue.
- Read the Malwarebytes Software License Agreement, then click Continue.
- To confirm you agree to the Software License Agreement, click Agree.
- On the next screen, click Install.
- You are asked to confirm new software installation. Enter your Mac User Name and Password, then click Install Software.
- After Malwarebytes for Mac has finished installing, click Close to exit the setup wizard.
- A screen asks what kind of computer you are installing Malwarebytes on. This choice determines the kinds of Malwarebytes product notifications you will receive periodically. Click either Personal Computer or Work Computer, then click Continue. See bullets below for a description of each option.
- Personal Computer: is a device owned by you or your family for home and personal use. Dashboard notifications after choosing Personal Computer may look like the following:
- Work Computer: is a device owned by your company or place of employment. This option is intended for Malwarebytes for Teams customers or Macs used primarily in a work or business environment. Dashboard notifications after choosing Work Computer may look like the following:
- If the Malwarebytes for Mac installer is located in the Downloads folder, you will see a prompt with options to Keep or Move to Trash.
- After you’ve completed the steps above, you will see the following screen.
If you have installed Malwarebytes before, you may not see this screen or the following steps. Skip to the end of the article if this is the case.
- If you click Not Now, you will be directed to the Dashboard.
- Click Turn Protection On and the following screen is displayed. Click OK.
- Click Open Privacy Settings. The System Preferences window opens.
- Go to Security & Privacy > General tab, if necessary, click the Allow button. This is required to enable real-time protection. For a video walk-through,
If you purchased a Premium subscription, Activate Malwarebytes Premium on Mac device v3 to access features such as Real-Time Protection.
If you installed Malwarebytes on a Mac running macOS Catalina 10.15, you must Give Full Disk Access for Malwarebytes on Mac.
Malwarebytes 4.6.12 Anti-Malware for Mac is a free utility that will eliminate malware and adware from your Mac quickly and efficiently. It’s not the most powerful or versatile program (it’s a rebranded version of AdwareMedic, not a Mac version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Windows), but if malware or adware is your problem, this is a good solution. Its streamlined process makes it accessible for users of all experience levels, and the additional information provided is a nice touch.
Note: This review was updated to reflect a change in the product name from AdwareMedic to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac.