The Microsoft Teams app combines text, voice, and video chat with other collaboration features such as calendars and file sharing. You can sign up for it standalone, or use it as part of the larger Office 365 suite of applications. As a Microsoft product, you may wonder whether you can use it on a Mac. You can. Here’s how to install and set up Microsoft Teams for Mac.
These instructions will work for any supported version of macOS, which includes v10.11 (El Capitan) and newer. The screenshots in this article are from Mojave.
Download Microsoft Teams for macOS
Microsoft provides an installer for Teams in their .PKG format, which will walk you through the install via a wizard.
- First, go to Microsoft’s website and select the Download link from the main navigation.
- Then click the Download for Desktop button.
- Finally, click the Download Teams button.
Your download option will match the operating system of the machine on which you download it. Make sure you’re using a Mac to download the installer, even if it’s not the machine you’ll be installing Teams on in the end.
Installing Microsoft Teams on macOS
The installer makes it very easy to get Teams up and running on your Mac. Double-click the .PKG file will get automatically start the installation.
- The first screen of the installer displays a simple introduction message. Click Continue to move ahead.
- The next screen lets you know how much disk space it will use, and asks for confirmation on where to install it. If you’re using a standard drive layout (e.g. a MacBook Air with only one drive), it should offer to install on your main disk. If you have more than one drive, you can click Change Install Location to choose your preferred destination. Otherwise, click Install to kick off the process.
- Before anything is installed, you’ll be prompted for an administrator password. Enter one, then hit Install Software.
- The installer will start copying files at this point, and show you its progress.
- Once complete, you should get a success message. You can click Close to quit the installer.
Once the installation is complete, you can launch Teams from the Applications folder.
How to Set up Microsoft Teams on macOS
When you first launch Teams, you’ll be prompted to log in with a Microsoft account. This may be a personal account, or one provided by your company (such as Office 365).
Once you’re done, you can tune the app to your liking by clicking on the upper-right corner, then clicking Settings.
This will bring up a dialog where you can adjust the following:
- General: High-level options like theme, start-up behavior, and language.
- Privacy: Allowing surveys or contact from certain people even in Do Not Disturb mode.
- Notifications: Enable or disable the notifications Teams shows you to taste.
- Devices: Configure and test devices such as your speakers, microphone, and camera.
- Calls: Set options such as voicemail and call forwarding on this screen.