Install Terminal on Mac OS
The client terminal can be installed and run on computers with Mac OS using Wine. Wine is a free software that allows users of the Unix-based systems to run an application developed for the Microsoft Windows systems. Among all the Wine versions there is one for Mac OS.
For the installation on Mac OS we recommend to use the free application PlayOnMac. PlayOnMac is a Wine-based software for easy installation of Windows applications on Mac OS.
- To install PlayOnMac, open the product’s official web site, move to Downloads section and click the link for downloading the latest version.
- After downloading the DMG package, launch it from Downloads section of your system:
- PlayOnMac first launch window will appear. After clicking “Next”, the installer will start checking and installing the various components necessary for work.
- The first necessary component is XQuartz. This is a software for using X Window System on Mac OS. X Window System provides standard tools and protocols for building the graphical user interface in Unix-like OS.
- If you have already installed XQuartz or want to install it later, select “Don’t install XQuartz for the moment” or “I’ve downloaded file by myself”, respectively.
- XQuartz installation is performed in several stages. First of all, you should read the important information (Read Me) and accept the license conditions.
- Before the installation, Mac OS security system will ask you to enter your account’s password:
- Wait for the installation to complete. For changes to take effect, you should restart your PC.
- After restarting the system, launch PlayOnMac again from the setup file in Downloads folder. The first launch window will appear again. This time, the installer will offer to install MS Windows fonts necessary for correct operation.
- Accept the license agreement conditions and wait till the installation is complete. After that, PlayOnMac is ready for use. Its main window will appear:
- Wine v. 1.4 is installed together with PlayOnMac. Wine 1.4.1 is the latest stable version at the moment. Wine 1.5.21 beta release containing many improvements is also available for download. However, it may be less stable. It is recommended to install the latest version of Wine.
- To upgrade Wine to the latest version, open PlayOnMac upper menu and select Manage Wine Versions:
- The window with Wine versions available for installation will open. Select the latest version (1.5.21 at the moment).
- Move the latest Wine version to the right side of the window. The installation will start.
- After the installation is complete, the new version of Wine will appear in the left part of PlayOnMac Wine versions manager window. You can then close the window and install the trading terminal.
To install the terminal, download the installer “mt4setup.exe”. After the download is complete, launch the setup file. PlayOnMac will be used automatically to open it.
The standard terminal installation process with all its stages will start:
When the installation is complete, PlayOnMac will offer you to create the shortcuts for the terminal components – the client terminal itself and MetaEditor:
After creating the necessary shortcuts, you can start using the client terminal. Double click on it in PlayOnMac window to launch the terminal.
As was already mentioned above, Wine is not a completely stable software. Thus, some functions of the terminal may work improperly. Currently the following issues are discovered:Except for the above problem, you can enjoy all the features of the client terminal on Mac OS.
MetaTrader 4 (MT4) boasts a long-standing presence and remains one of the more popular trading platforms for trading Forex and CFDs. MT4’s user-friendly interface and wide-ranging features deliver a platform designed for technical analysis.
Although MT4 is configured to run on Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac users are able to download MetaTrader and tap into the benefits MT4 has to offer.
Trade Forex on a Mac – MT4 Broker Download
The most common method used to access the MT4 platform on a Mac is by downloading the custom application usually available through your broker.
- Download the MT4 Terminal from the broker of choice – the download should be a dmg file. Select to open it with your default program and click OK.
- The download will begin and Mac OS should verify the download. After the dmg file has successfully downloaded, open, and drag the app to your Applications folder.
- To start the application, you can open the Finder application on the dock and click Applications. Following this, locate and right-click the MT4 Application and choose Open.
- Launching the program for the first time can take a few minutes – be patient and understand it won’t take this long in future runs.
If you’re an Apple Mac user, the latest version of FP Markets’ custom-built application provides all the advantages of an MT4 trading account without the need to install additional operating systems. Our MT4 Apple Mac application offers Mac users all of the functionality when trading forex that is normally only available to Windows PC users – just by installing a simple application.
MT4 on Mac OS – PlayOnMac Download
MetaQuotes, the developer behind MT4’s platform, recommends using PlayOnMac to install and download MT4 on a Mac OS. PlayOnMac permits users to install and manage software intended to work on Microsoft Windows – graphical software built on top of Wine.
Wine is a compatibility layer allowing users to manage applications designed for Windows operating systems. Although often used on Linux, Wine can also run Windows on a Mac without the need for a Windows license. Wine, however, like much of free software available, has little assurance of stability. Its structure is based on an open-source application and is constantly in development.
You can download PlayOnMac software via its website. Once installed, select a version of Wine and download the Windows version of MT4 from the MetaQuotes website. Launching the exe file should bring up PlayOnMac, with the PlayOnMac wizard in place to guide you through the installation process.
MT4 WebTrader for Mac OS
If you prefer not to use a broker’s branded version of MT4 for Mac or install through PlayOnMac software, you can opt to use the MT4 WebTrader. It requires no downloads and runs via any Web browser on Mac. The only thing needed is a broker that supports it.
Your trading history is preserved just as with the desktop client, all the indicators for technical analysis are present as are all the order types, timeframes, and graphical objects for charts. Finally, the same secure data transfer that you expect from the desktop client is also built into MT4 WebTrader.
Alternatives to Running MT4’s Forex Trading Software From a Mac
A virtual machine, also known as a guest, is software that emulates the hardware necessary to run an operating system on top of another operating system. This allows you to run Windows on top of Mac OS. Parallels Desktop for Mac offers hardware virtualisation of the Intel platform, which permits Mac computers to run Microsoft Windows. VirtualBox and VMware Fusion are also popular alternatives.
A virtual private server (VPS) is a remote server you can connect with to run trading software. A VPS is particularly useful if you employ expert advisors (EAs) requiring continuous access to the broker. If you operate trading robots from your personal computer, the increased likelihood of an Internet outage may cost you missed trade entries or exits. Virtual private servers can be leveraged to allow access to MT4 from your Mac without installing it directly on your Mac.
MT4 For Mac provides trading tools to implement any trading strategy in the Forex market. With one-click trading, you can trade directly from the chart. MT4 also offers world-class analytical tools that the majority of Mac users desire.
Traders are recommended to experiment with a demo account prior to using a real trading account (live account), particularly if you’re unfamiliar with MT4’s functions.