How to uninstall Razer Synapse on a Mac
How to uninstall Razer Synapse on your Mac
The easiest way to uninstall Razer Synapse on a Mac is to use its own uninstaller, if you have it.
- Go to Applications>Utilities and look for ‘Uninstall Razer Synapse.’
- If you find it, double-click on it and follow the instructions when it launches.
If you can’t find the uninstaller, you can uninstall it manually.
The first thing you should do is quit any running processes — while you’re doing that, you can check whether Synapse is the cause of any performance issues your Mac is having.
- Go to Applications>Utilities and double-click on Activity Monitor to launch it.
- Look through the list of running processes for anything with ‘razer synapse’ in its name.
- If you find one or more processes, take a look at their RAM and CPU usage and compare it with other processes, that will give you an idea if it’s hogging resources.
- When you’re ready, select each Razer Synapse process in turn and press the Quit Process button in the tool bar.
- Quit Activity Monitor.
Once you’ve deleted running processes, you can move to the next stage and delete the application.
- Go to your Applications folder and look for the Razer Synapse app.
- When you find it, drag it to the Trash.
- Click on Finder in the Dock and choose the Go menu.
- Select Go to Folder and paste this location in the box: /Library/Application Support/Razer
- Drag the Razer folder to the Trash.
- Repeat step 4, this time paste: ~/Library/Cache
- Locate the file ‘com.razerzone.RzUpdater’ and drag it to the Trash
- Repeat step 4 again and navigate to: /Library/FrameWorks
- Remove the following files:RzAudioSettings.framework
- Now, navigate to: /Library/Extensions/
- Remove: RazerHid.kext
Here’s how it works:
- Download and install CleanMyMac X (free trial available).
- Double-click it in your Applications folder to launch it.
- Choose Uninstaller from the left hand sidebar.
- Locate the app you want to uninstall, in this case Razer Synapse
- Check the box next to it and press Uninstall.
That’s it! CleanMyMac will now uninstall the app and remove all the files it placed on your Mac.
Another option, if you’re not sure you want to uninstall Razer Synapse, is to reset it. That may solve any problems you’re having with it and allow you to keep it. You can do that in CleanMyMac X, using the Uninstaller tool. At step 5, above, when you’ve checked the Razer Synapse app, click on the dropdown menu labelled ‘uninstall’ and choose ‘reset’. Then press the Reset button at the bottom of the window.
Remove Launch Agents
You will also need to remove launch agents that Razer Synapse installs:
- In the Finder, click on the Go menu and choose ‘Go to menu’
- Paste the following into the text box: /Library/Launch Agents
- Look for the two files listed below and drag them to the Trash
- .Empty the Trash
It works like this:
- Launch CleanMyMac X.
- Choose Optimization in the sidebar.
- Select Launch Agents.
- Locate the launch agents you want to remove and check the box next to them.
- Press Remove.
- Type in your user password when prompted.
The last step is to remove the certificate Razer Synapse leaves in your Keychain.
- Go to Applications>Utilities.
- Launch Keychain Access.
- Choose My Certificates.
- Look for anything with ‘Razer’ in its name.
- Press the Delete key.
- Quit Keychain Access.
If you prefer to be really hardcore and use the Terminal to uninstall apps, you can do that, too. However, as with doing anything with Terminal, you should only do it if you know how to use Terminal commands and know what each one does. Use these commands:
- Go to Applications>Utilities and launch Terminal.
- Type the following commands to remove Synapse launch agents. Press Return at the end of each line:
launchctl remove com.razer.rzupdater
launchctl remove com.razerzone.rzdeviceengine
sudo rm /Library/LaunchAgents/com.razer.rzupdater.plist
sudo rm /Library/LaunchAgents/com.razerzone.rzdeviceengine.plist
3. Remove the kernel extensions with this command:
sudo rm -Rf /Library/Extensions/RazerHid.kext
4. Drag the Razer Synapse app from the Applications folder to the Trash.
5. Remove files from the Application Support with the following commands:
sudo rm -rf /Library/Application\ Support/Razer/
rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Razer/
6. Remove files from the Library Frameworks folder with these commands:
sudo rm -rf /Library/Frameworks/RzAudioSettings.framework/
sudo rm -rf /Library/Frameworks/RzSkinToolkit.framework/
sudo rm -rf /Library/Frameworks/RzStorageSDK.framework/
7. Restart your Mac.
Razer Synapse for Mac configuration tool lets you create profiles for your Razer peripherals, assigning keybinding and macros endlessly. Unfortunately, a few of the features open to Windows users aren’t available on the Mac.
Synapse is a groundbreaking application that instantly stores your custom settings and Razer add-ons online in the cloud and lets you retrieve them at will from any location. It completely eliminates the painstaking reconfiguration process and lets you spend more time dominating the competition.
Razer Synapse is a utility application for Razer’s range of gaming peripherals including mice and keyboards, and allows them to be configured on your Mac. However, Mac support lags behind that on Windows and you may decide you want to uninstall it, especially if you no longer use it. There are several ways to uninstall Razer Synapse on a Mac, but the easiest is to use CleanMyMac X.