A quality PC and Mac antivirus and web filter 2022
Sophos Antivirus for Mac Home is a free program designed to protect every PC and Mac in your personal cyberspace, or in your family, from threats like malware, viruses, ransomware, malicious software, and compromised or unsuitable websites.
Sophos Antivirus for Mac Home utilizes the universally acclaimed and accepted technology deployed by security professionals in protecting the information systems of various organizations. The icing on the cake with Sophos Antivirus for Mac Home is that users can customize their security settings for each computer from any of the popular browsers, like Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Safari.
Sophos Antivirus for Mac Home Edition is a complete antivirus solution for your Mac, and it gives you the ability to review files identified as threats before they are removed. With this free program in place, you can have confidence that your Mac is not vulnerable to threats from most viruses and malware.
Sophos Antivirus for Mac
Generally, the removal program that comes with Sophos should be used to uninstall it. For instructions, take a look at Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac: How to uninstall.
Having tried the regular uninstaller or if you deleted built-in removal program, this article provides a standalone tool to remove the installed Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac. This knowledge base article is also useful when the uninstaller is unable to run due to a corrupted receipt file.
Describing Sophos Antivirus for Mac
Sophos is for non-commercial and domestic use for up to 10 computers per account. Not a home user? Sophos has a full range of business and enterprise solutions that can be tried for free for your organization at Sophos.com.
Sophos Antivirus for Mac repels dangerous viruses and prevents malware from affecting machines’ performance or files. It serves as a bulwark against hackers, phishers, and credit card fraudsters, preventing access to users’ personal data and information. Sophos Home prevents users from accessing bad or compromised sites, while allowing parents to filter what type of websites their kids can access.
Sophos Home is compatible with Mac OS X 10.8 and higher, as well as Windows 7 and higher. It has an extremely simple and user-friendly process of managing security from a web dashboard. The dashboard features an in-depth troubleshooting help guide and FAQ to help users find their way around the program.
Interacting and Using Sophos
Sophos Home’s main dashboard consolidates everything the user needs to know about their security settings. Users can quickly see security status updates and alerts tied to each computer. They can also add additional computers to protect.
With a click of a mouse, users can select each machine individually for additional management features. Users can request scans or remove the device. Each device page allows users to turn off/on the three different overall security settings, specifically Automatic Virus Protection, Potentially Unwanted App Detection, and Web Protection.It also features security status updates, alerts, web filtering options, and an exceptions feature.
Introducing a new standard in protection
As stated above, Sophos uses the same award winning enterprise technologies in Sophos Home. It has earned praise from a host of independent testing labs.
If you are looking for an antivirus program that is both free and effective, then Sophos Home is not only able to meet, but exceed the standards of its competitors. Its simplicity, reliability, and versatility are more than able to meet the needs of the modern online user.
- Excellent for blocking malicious URLs and stopping malware
- The User Interface is elegant and simple
- Compatible with both Microsoft and Apple systems
Straightforward interface: Through this app’s streamlined interface, you can easily see how your scan is progressing and what threats the program has detected. And when the scan is complete, you can view a list of quarantined items and decide whether or not to delete some or all of them.
Decent detection: Sophos did detect several legitimate threats through scanning. They were clearly displayed in the Quarantine Manager, and we could view the results of scanning even while the scan was still in progress.
- User account confirmation demanded every single time users open the interface
- Does not support older Windows XP, Vista operated machines
Long scans: The program takes a long time to scan. In fact, our initial testing scan wasn’t even halfway done after 20 minutes, which seems excessive when compared to other similar programs.
Freezing issues: The app froze several times during testing, usually when it was close to finishing a scan. Since the scans take so long to begin with, this was especially frustrating.
Sophos Home Features
Complete Protection for All Your Devices
Malware Scan & Clean
Starts with a deep scan and clean of your computers. Removes malware lurking on your system. Eliminates viruses, trojans, rootkits, spyware, and more.
AI Threat Detection
Protects against new and developing viruses, malware, trojans, worms, bots, unwanted apps, and more.
Protects your personal files and photos from being encrypted and held for ransom. Blocks ransomware and rolls back any affected files to a pre‑tampered state.
Protects all your devices. Secure up to 10 Windows and Mac computers, plus an unlimited amount of iOS and Android tablets and phones.
Stops unauthorized access to your webcam or microphone. Encrypts keystrokes so cybercriminals and keylogger software can’t capture what you’re typing.
Blocks phishing sites and bad or compromised websites for safe browsing, banking, and shopping. Adds addition browser security and automatically scans your downloads.
Real-Time PC Antivirus
Utilizes behavioral detections and the extensive SophosLabs databases to constantly protect your PC from viruses, malware, trojans, worms, bots, unwanted applications, ransomware, and more.
Parental Web Filtering
Gives you parental control over the web content your children can access on a computer. Simply select filtering categories and let Sophos do the rest.
Provides live email and chat support from 8 am to 8 pm EST Monday – Friday. Plus, our knowledge base support is available 24/7.
WHAT’S NEW IN VERSION 1.1.3
- A “Lightbox” to announce new features
- Improvements to installation reliability
- You can change the names of computers, and correct your own name
- A full disk scan will now respect exclusions on Macs
- Color palette improvements for people with impaired vision
- Updated help system
- Improvements to the user interface and registration experience
Download Sophos for Mac and get
- Artificial Intelligence Threat Detection: Detect and block new, previously unidentified “zero-day” attacks with predictive AI and deep learning before they impact your system.
- Real-Time Threat Prevention: Analyze suspicious behavior and activities to protect yourself against new and developing threats. Sophos Home identifies and eliminates viruses, malware, Trojans, worms, bots, and potentially unwanted apps (PUAs).
- Advanced Ransomware Security: Prevent your personal files and photos from being encrypted and held for ransom. Sophos’ powerful anti-ransomware technology blocks the ransomware attack and rolls back affected data to its previous state.
- Advanced Malware Scan and Clean: Install Sophos on Mac to eradicate all traces of remnants of malware- including viruses, Trojans, rootkits, and spyware. Following installation, the Mac version of Sophos Home performs a deep scan and clean of your system
- Remote Security Management: Choose one member in the family to manage Sophos Antivirus for Mac for up to 10 devices – whether in the same house or in another country. Address security alerts, change security settings and run scans from the Cloud Management Dashboard in any web browser.
- Parental Web Filtering
- Web Security
- Banking Protection (MRG Effitas certification)
- Privacy Protection
- Premium Support
Awards and Recognition
- IGN: “…a standing army on the opposite side of a moat filled with rabies-infected alligators.”
- The PC Security Channel: “Hands down the best results I have ever seen! …Absolutely flawless!”
- Macworld Editor’s Choice 2019: “…the most extensive and up-to-date approach to fighting malware at an unbeatable price.”
- SE Labs: Awarded highest AAA Total Accuracy Rating
- AV comparatives: “#1 Malware Protection Rate – Sophos Intercept X Advanced blocked 99.9% of the malware with 0 false alarms.”
- NSS Labs: Recommended – “Sophos Intercept X Advanced achieved the highest security effectiveness rating.”
- MRG Effitas: “#1 in Malware Protection, #1 in Exploit Protection”
Version Features Sophos Home (Free)
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Real-Time Antivirus
- Parental Web Filtering
- Web Protection
- Remote Management
- Up to Three Devices
- 30-day trial of Premium
Sophos Home Premium
- Everything in Sophos Home (Free) PLUS
- Malware Remover
- Ransomware Security
- Banking Protection
- Privacy Protection
- Identity Protection
- Advanced Web Security
- Premium Support
- Up to 10 Devices
The removal tool will work with all releases of Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac. To use the tool, follow the steps below:
- Download the Removal Tool for Sophos Anti-Virus.
- Unzip the downloaded tool if it hasn’t been automatically unzipped by your browser.
- Double-click the Remove Sophos Anti-Virus application and follow any on-screen instructions..